There are two requirements to be fulfilled in order to start the bachelor’s program in Germany :
The student needs one of the following certificates in German language (Like we have IELTS and TOEFL to prove English language proficiency):
- TestDaF (Grade – TDN 4) – Can be taken in India
- Goethe C2 (Just Pass) – Can be taken in India
- DSH-2 (Only conducted by German universities in Germany)
- TELC C1 Hochschule – Conducted only in Germany
Note: There are few more certificates but these 4 are the most recognized ones which are accepted by all the universities across Germany.
Previously, there were only 3 ways to start bachelor’s degree in Germany, namely:
- Either complete the first year of a relevant degree program in India. For example, if a student wants to study B. Sc. Mechanical Engineering in Germany, he needs to do his first year (2 semesters) at a UGC recognized university from India in Mechanical Engineering.
- Do one year of preparatory program called Studienkolleg in Germany. Seats are very limited in Public Studienkollegs and success rate for getting into them ranges between 5-10% at max. Private Studienkollegs charges hefty tuition fees ranging from 9000 to 20000 Euros (Approx 8 Lakhs to 17 Lakhs INR) for one year program.
- Students clearing IIT-JEE ADVANCE can directly start their bachelor’s degree in Germany.